Sony announced results for the second quarter of fiscal 2023 (July-September 2023). Its revenue rose 32% year-on-year to ¥954.1 billion ($6.32 billion).
- Of that amount, ¥479.3 billion ($3.2 billion) came from game and content sales. Revenue from console sales totaled ¥287.5 billion ($1.9 billion), and revenue from game services was ¥133.9 billion ($887 million).
- The division’s operating profit rose 16% to ¥48.9 billion ($324 million).
- Sony sold 4.9 million PlayStation 5 consoles during the quarter. It had shipped a total of 46.6 million PlayStation 5 consoles by Sept. 30.
- It sold 67.6 million copies of PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 games during the quarter – 5.1 million more copies than it sold in July-September 2022. Of those 67.6 million copies, 4.7 million came from games from Sony Studios.
- As of September 30, PlayStation’s monthly active audience was 107 million. A year ago it was 102 million.
- Until March 2026, Sony now plans to release not 12, but six games-services. The company has decided to spend more time on the projects to make them of higher quality.