Newzoo has unveiled its PC and console gaming report 2023. The report includes detailed data on game engagement and revenue, market forecasts, and insights into how people play and spend money on PC and console platforms. The full report is available on Newzoo’s official website.
Highlights from the PC & Console Gaming Report 2023
- PC and console market share and performance: PC and console revenues reached $92.3 billion in 2022, a yearly decline of -2.2%. The market may be cooling down after the pandemic, but overall performance still outshines our previous forecasts. Plentiful opportunities exist to reach over one billion PC players and 611 million console players.
- Playtime data: Average playtime dropped by 23% across Steam, Xbox, and PlayStation from 2021 to 2022.
Games development and release trends: With the pandemic as a contributing factor, many companies delayed their major title releases from 2022 to at least 2023. These delays significantly impacted playtime and spending, though 2023 now has a packed release schedule, including games like The Legend of Zelda: Tears of a Kingdom.
Essential business model trends: More AAA and AA publishers are pivoting their leading franchises to service-based and subscription models. In the coming years, we expect that companies will opt for fewer new releases and focus on extending the lifespan of existing franchises, especially with the success of titles like Fortnite, Minecraft, and ROBLOX.
- Gaming and the surrounding media ecosystem: While remakes and remasters increased engagement for older game IPs, 2022 was an inflection point for transmedia strategies. The HBO adaptation of The Last of Us was a major hit and an accelerant for the games, but it was by no means the only example. Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, the anime based on the controversial title, drastically boosted the franchise’s popularity.
- Detailed PC & console gamer demographic and persona analysis: In the last six months, two out of three gamers played on a PC or console, and 72% of PC and/or console players used at least two platforms. The market also became more equitable in 2022, with women gamers accounting for 40% of the total PC and console player base.
- How different types of gamers are playing and spending: In the past six months, 66% of PC and/or console players spent money on video games, but what motivated them to spend? There are many ways to define a gamer and different segmentation models reveal unique behaviors and motivations. The report covers why people play games, what features are most appealing, how much they spend on PC and console purchases, and more.
The PC and console market is enormous and swiftly evolving, so having in-depth and timely insights can be critical. Read the latest free report for the most comprehensive market view to date.