Circana shared a big report on the U.S. gaming market in October 2023. Total gaming market revenue totaled $4.036 billion. That’s down 5% from a year earlier.
- Gaming hardware sales fell the hardest, down 23% to $327 million.
- The PlayStation 5 remains the top-selling system, both in terms of number of sales and in dollar terms.
- Content sales fell, down 4% to $3.562 billion. But that’s due, in part, to the fact that Call of Duty’s release last year took place in late September – and October accounted for a larger share of sales. This year, the new installment launched Nov. 8.
- Accessory sales fell 2% to $147 million.
- As of the end of October, the U.S. market size is $43.4 billion. That’s up 2% from the same period last year.
- Marvel’s Spider-Man 2, Super Mario Bros. Wonder, and Assassin’s Creed: Mirage were the top-selling games of October on PC and consoles.
- Hogwarts Legacy remains the most successful game of the year. Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 soared to No. 4 in U.S. sales in 2023.
- Spending on mobile games in the U.S. rose 2.1% in October. MONOPOLY GO!, Royal Match, and Roblox are the top 3 games by revenue.
Most popular games in U.S. gaming market
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (Call of Duty: Warzone 2.0), Fortnite, and Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 were the most played games by MAU on PlayStation platforms in October. Roblox started off at #4.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (Call of Duty: Warzone 2.0); Fortnite, and GTA V are the biggest games by MAU on Xbox.
- Counter-Strike 2, Baldur’s Gate III, and Cyberpunk 2077 are the Steam MAU leaders. The Finals beta is in 4th place.