Why runners specifically?
In the first half of 2022, 4 of the top 10 hyper-casual games in terms of installations are runners. The runner genre is one of the most popular, sought-after and profitable on the market:
- A Decade of Popularity. Classical games like Subway Surfers and Temple Run paved the way for runner games ten years ago. Gamers love and know these mechanics well, which is why these games often flicker in the top charts;
- Quick development time. 30-second levels and basic gameplay skills make runners relatively quick and easy to develop;
- Speed up development and take advantage of Unity templates. The new Unity template for runners is based on industry best practices and knowledge to quickly and easily create high-quality prototypes and game iterations. There you’ll find assets made exclusively for runner games and other elements that will free up the time spent creating the framework. With this pack, developers will focus on honing the concept and building the game;
- Scalability. Runners have the most sub-genres of any category, such as ASMR, decision-making, or win/loss, which gives more options to appeal to a broad audience of gamers.
How to create a runner that won’t stumble
It all starts with an idea. Supersonic Studios recommends checking out the following resources that will improve any prototype:
- Three tips for creating hyper-casual ideas from a top developer;
- Hyper-casual Trends and Idea Creation Tips;
- Hyper-casual Idea Creation Kit.
When creating a game, keep the peculiarities of the genre in mind:
- Make the game easy. Users play runners during quick breaks, so keep the difficulty level low to keep gamers engaged and engaged;
- Use gates. Runners that use special multiplier gates are coming into vogue. Add this element to the game and create a transformation in size, shape, speed or cost;
- Make levels short. Keep users engaged in the game with fast and engaging levels. Players want to feel satisfied and reach their goals quickly;
- Track trends. Take a look at the top charts of hyper-casual games and think about what concepts can be implemented in the game;
- Emphasize the theme. Choose a clear and exciting theme for all users, and then emphasize it in the creatives.
Supersonic collaborates with developers to create some of the most popular games in the world. Take a look at a few success stories to get inspired to make your own game:
- Tall Man Run reaches #1 as the fourth game published with Supersonic;
- Join Clash remains in the top 100 for one year and is the most downloaded game of January 2021;
- In partnership with Supersonic, Rope Man Run reaches the top 5 in both app stores.