SensorTower has named the most popular mobile games genres for 2022 in its new report. Despite falling revenues and overall downloads, some games in the market continue to perform well.
A side note: Appsflyer about state of the mobile gaming advertising market
The most popular mobile games genres by download:
- hypercasual games – 12.3 billion (-10% for the year);
- arcades – 5.9 billion (-3% for the year);
- simulation games – 4.8 billion (the same number of downloads as in 2021);
- puzzles – 4.5 billion (-8% for the year);
- Lifestyle games – 3 billion (-11% for the year).
Against all odds, these genres showed a drop in the number of downloads compared to the same period in 2021.
A similar situation can be observed with regard to profitability, as these results are mostly just as low as those of 2021:
- RPGs – $20.2bn (-14% for the year);
- strategy games – $16.3 billion (-7% for the year);
- puzzles – $9.1 billion (-4% for the year);
- casinos – $8 billion (-1% for the year);
- shooters – $4.6 billion (-22% for the year).
Also in 2022, the hybrid-casual model of gaming saw a 14% increase in downloads. The genre grew strongly throughout the year, reducing production costs and expanding strategies for monetisation, thereby attracting a wider audience of players.