Portal GamesIndustry has examined data from the Australian Interactive Games and Entertainment Association (IGEA) and shared statistics on the Australian gaming market for 2022.
- At the end of 2022, there were 102 game studios operating in Australia. Their total annual revenue amounted to 284.4 million Australian dollars or 180.1 million US dollars (for convenience, we will further specify money in US dollars). It has increased by 26% compared to 2021. Note that over the past six years, revenue for game studios in Australia has more than doubled, jumping 148%;
- 28% of studios opened at least ten years ago, 48% of studios opened six to nine years ago, and 27% of studios opened five or fewer years ago;
- as of December 2022, studios employed 2,104 people.
- 81% of Australians are gamers;
- 81% of Australian gamers play on consoles, 70% play on smartphones, 59% play on PCs, 43% play on tablets, and 5% use VR headsets;
- the average age of an Australian gamer is 35 years old;
- Australians play for an average of 90 minutes a day;
- Australians spent $2.67 billion on video games, gaming hardware and gaming peripherals last year, up 5% from 2021;
- Australians spent the most money on console and PC games at $1.2 billion, followed by mobile games at $989.2 million, hardware at $384.9 million and peripherals at $81.7 million.